NYC lawyers fighting against deplorable workplace conduct
You’ve been hurt and tormented. You are scared to speak up for yourself. Workplace sexual harassment is a serious offense, which brings serious trauma to victims. That’s why the NYC lawyers at the Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC believe in being the voice for those who have been afflicted by sex harassment and discrimination at work.
From unwanted sexual advances to criminal conduct and rape, the Manhattan attorneys at the Derek Smith Law Group have seen it all. We offer you the compassion and respect you deserve, while aggressively fighting against your harasser for the compensation you need. We help innocent victims obtain full and fair compensation for their lost wages, emotional distress and more.
What is sex harassment in NYC?
Sexual harassment in New York City is a form of sex discrimination that violates federal employment discrimination law, specifically Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature constitute New York sexual harassment when:
- Submission to or rejection of this conduct explicitly or implicitly affects an individual's employment
- It unreasonably interferes with an individual's work performance
- It creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment
Sexual harassment in New York can occur under a variety of circumstances, including the following:
- The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, an agent of the employer, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker or a non-employee.
- The victim as well as the harasser may be a woman or a man. You can be harassed by someone of the same sex.
- The harassment could include offensive jokes or gift-giving, sexism, bribery, coercion, unwanted physical contact and other inappropriate behavior.
- You can be harassed based on your actual or perceived sexual orientation.
- The victim does not have to be the person harassed but could be anyone affected by the offensive conduct.
- Unlawful sexual harassment may occur without economic injury to or discharge of the victim.
There are many types of sexual harassment of which to be aware. There is no such thing as a “typical” case — harassment wears many faces and occurs in countless forms. It is important, however, to be proactive in pursuing a claim
How to handle a sexual harassment claim
If you have been harassed, you should directly inform the harasser that the conduct is unwelcome and must stop. If this is unsuccessful, you can use any employer complaint mechanism or grievance system available. This may include making a formal complaint with a Human Resources representative, or with your supervisor.
Attempts to end the harassment on your own may prove unsuccessful for a few reasons. For example, your employer may ignore the complaints. The company might try to cover-up the sexual harassment to avoid a scandal. Or perhaps, your supervisor is the harasser and there is no one else to turn to for help.
If the harassment continues, or if you are terminated for refusing sexual advances, contact a Manhattan lawyer right away. An attorney at the Derek Smith Law Group can help you decide whether to proceed with a charge to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and/or file a lawsuit in court.
To learn more, visit our additional pages:
- Understanding Workplace Harassment Laws
- New York City Sexual Harassment
- New York Sexual Harassment
- How to File a Harassment Suit
- Finding the Right Harassment Lawyer
- Harassment at Work
- Finding the Right Sexual Harassment Lawyer
- Understanding New York Harassment Laws
Our New York attorneys empower sexual harassment victims
If the grievance policies in place at your workplace have not been sufficient at curbing unwanted sexual harassment that interferes with your work performance or makes you feel unsafe, contact the NYC sex harassment attorneys at Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC today at 877-4NYLAWS. You can consult with them about recourse you might have, including filing a civil rights complaint or a sexual harassment lawsuit. The Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC is conveniently located in the Manhattan financial district.